How does driving impact on fuel economy?

Capricheea

I remember seeing a movie a very long time ago. I can't remember what movie it was but what I do remember is a lady constantly telling the driver to drive slow because this will save gas. Is this true? Does driving slower help you save gas?

RoseRed

It depends on the situation. In highway driving, there is a peak efficiency,usually somewhere between 45-65 mph, so you wouldn't necessarily drive slower than that. When stopping and going in the city, though, it's better to accelerate less and go at slower speeds, since faster acceleration means using more fuel.

Paul

I think it does have an impact on the amount of gas you use. If you floor it every time you take off from a stop light, you're gonna use more gas than if you just ease off and act like a normal person.

FenderBender

Driving at a steady speed is what is necessary to save gas. This means not flooring it when you accelerate from a stop and not flying down the highway at 100 mph. Other than that the speed with which you drive doesn't really affect gas mileage that much.