How many miles once gas light comes on?

coup

How many more miles can you get once your gas light comes on? I have tested it out in my car and I can get about 41 more miles once my light comes on.

sharky

I don't know, I have never tested that out. I don't think I have ever ran out of gas. Still, the light has come on and I know I went at least 20 or 25 miles, so I get that at minimum.

jumpinjacks

Wow, 41 miles is pretty good. I have one of those tanks that will say it is at or just below half a tank and suddenly the gas light comes on. That means I have maybe 20 miles, if that.

Midnight Tech

Administrator
The cluster in the Maxima will blink at 3 bars (just under 1/4 tank) then the little voice will say "fuel level is low" at 2 bars. Discovered the hard way that when it blinks you BETTER feed it some gas!

Dodge Doll

It depends on the vehicle, in truth. The Sonata, hey, gas light comes on, and I've probably got another 50 miles or so of gas in the tank.... but the minivan, jeez, that comes on, and it basically means FEED ME NOW, I can't push my luck with it, I've had it stumble on me on route to the gas station when the gauge said it shouldn't.

Wini

I am too afraid to fully test mine out. I know I can get at least 20 miles though in my Ford Focus. I've pushed it too much a couple times but I really try not to.

HANG

Those gas lights come on really when you are not actually in dire need of gas. I never even pay attention to them, I just look at the gauge. If it's near empty, then I'll go ahead and fill up. Gas light is useless.

coup

I have always worried that the needle will randomly change. I am used to my 40 or so miles, but is there a possibility at some point it might decide not to tell me till I am at the FEED ME NOW point?

philio

I don't think it is going to randomly change. Maybe as the car gets older the needle might change positions over time. If it did suddenly do something like that I would worry about a larger problem behind it.

Hotrod25

41 miles :suspicious: Wow I would never have tried that. I have gone about 15 and then I got gas. Not only does driving with little gas make the fuel pump work harder but you can also get junk from the bottom of the tank into your engine.

Lamboguy

I'm pretty sure this varies with what kind of vehicle you have. I have a 2005 Nissan Altima and it only happened one time where I got it to empty. I went about 15 miles and died right in the gas station. I was very lucky that day, as it was pouring outside.

silverfox

I have always heard that you should keep your gas tank at half full or more. Because if you let it get down to near empty it becomes dirty and will clog the fuel pump. Does anyone know if this is true? Plus, I tend to panic when the gaslight comes on anyway.

MaximumSpeed

Silverfox, sometimes it depends on what vehicle it is. I think it was the Suburban that I heard if you let it get below 1/4 tank, it will mess up some high-dollar parts internally.

Donald

I didn't know that you were supposed to keep your gas tank that full for some cars, I better look into that. I drive with my gas somewhat low fairly often, I hope it hasn't damaged anything yet. As for pushing it to the point of running out, some of you are pretty brave. I know I can go a reasonable amount when the light is on, but I've never wanted to test the limits.

silverfox

I think I should look into this a little deeper, too. I drive an older car so it could be a fact for older models. But than again maybe only for newer models. I think I'll do some research. :nerd: