How old is too old?

Dodge Doll

I'm curious - if it was to be a second family vehicle, how old is TOO old for you to consider when it comes to a used vehicle?

It's 2011, and one of our rides is a 96....

MaximumSpeed

The oldest of my three is a 1990. I actually prefer the older cars because they were built more to last than the newer ones, which are made "disposable" and fall apart way too easily.

Leslie

I have a 94. I think I would not want anything from the 80s, but other than that, anything 90s and up are fair game, I think, for a second car. As long as it runs.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
As far as buying or already having? The reason why I ask, is I will buy a newer vehicle then one I already have. I am hoping to get 20 years out of my truck. The wife's vehicle though will be upgraded as we add more kids.

If I was buying I would be looking around the 5 year rang though. 10 year at the max I think, depending on vehicle, shape, and millage.

Donald

Personally, I wouldn't set a specific year for something like this. I think mileage is usually a better indicator of a car's "age". As Jason said, the model of the vehicle and how well it's been taken care of are also important things to consider.

Craig

I think what make of vehicle it is, how many miles, what condition it's in, etc matter more. I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on something over 10 years old, unless it was a classic.

Fanbelt

My last car was a 97, and I loved it. I didn't replace the car because it's too old or did not work properly. It's just my wife wanting a newer car. I always believe that the older cars are more durable than the newer ones.

vroombaby

I think with age sometimes we change our "years preferred" mark. I know a few years ago I would get something past the 5-10 mark maybe as a beater or if it was in amazing shape but now I doubt I would even bother. Most of ours are within the past few years as is, we are good for now.

Vroooom_1972

In the last 15 years, I have had a lot of leases and only one car purchased. I was planning on keeping the purchased car for the duration of its life until a crazy lady hit me from behind and totaled it. That car was nine years old and I was already planning a party for its next birthday. However, I had to plan a funeral.

Jon

My current car is a 1994 model. I would consider anything, depending on condition, miles and the make of the car, from 1990 and up. I wouldn't consider anything older than that, unless it was a classic that had been restored, or taken care of really well.

Midnight Tech

Administrator
We currently have a 99, a 96, an 87 and an 84. The 84 is a Maxima (last of the L28 engines) and needs some TLC but is in good enough shape to be a daily driver.