Hurricane Sandy

Hotrod25

I live in Upstate NY and we are in the path of Hurricane Sandy. Anyone else in the path? What are you doing to prepare yourself, your home? Supposed to get pretty windy here tomorrow!

classicjuju

I'm up on the coast of MA, further north than Boston. This is one of the few times where it's better to be on the coast with a storm like this coming. The jet stream is pulling it more inland so the worst part of the storm will be off to the west from us. We just have to watch for coastal flooding, but that's not something I'm too worried about where I am.

Naptime

I don't live anywhere near the path, but I have plenty of friends and family scattered across the East coast from Virginia to New York. I am really hoping that everyone comes through the storm unscathed.

smash

I am in the path too. High wind warning and floods! Lets hope they are really wrong about this one. Would hate to lose power! Stay safe everyone!! It might be a bumpy ride for a bit.

Ben

We're missing this one, but we have gone through many hurricanes. Be sure you have access to water for flushing toilets. A mechanical can opener is vital. Wash out those coolers before you lose water. Do all the laundry and fill the tubs and washing machine with water. If you're without water for a long period, this will come in handy for flushing. We have used bottles of Clorox cleaning after a storm. We've been weeks without electricity, and the worst can be after the storm passes, provided you survive it.

classicjuju

Hope everyone is doing okay, so far. It's windy as all get out, but the rain is sporadic so far. The eye hasn't even made landfall yet and we're 400 miles away but that's how huge this storm is. Our power is flickering here and there, just from the wind. I have a feeling we'll be losing the power before the end of the day.

Hotrod25

Wow Ben... I hope it does not get that bad. We are not usually in any paths of any hurricanes. I keep reafing things about NYC and everything they are closing down. We are as ready as we will be.

Otto Von

I am currently in Pennsylvania; halfway between Pittsburgh & Erie. Looks like we are mostly supposed to get with heavy winds and rain. If it were much cooler, we would probably get buried under a few feet of snow!

I have a few friends who go to college near Philadelphia (I believe), and their classes have been cancelled for the next 2 days & their entire college has been evacuated. I have also heard that the NYC subways have been shutdown & parts of Lower Manhattan have been evacuated. Everyone in the path of this storm, STAY SAFE!!