Is it worth buying a car that needs new tires?

HANG

Do you think it is worth buying a used car that is in need of new tires? I have heard that nowadays tires can run about 1K and I don't know if it's worth it.

Gomera

It depends on the type of tires you put on the car, how much you are paying for the car, and the price you pay for the tires. I would research the specifics if you are in that situation.

MaximumSpeed

If all it needs is tires, and the body and engine and transmission are all good, then I would say it's worth it. You can often find places that sell pull-offs that are nearly new but a lot less expensive.

FenderBender

I agree with Gomera. It really depends on what kind of tires you need. I got 4 truck tires for about $300. It also depends on what shape the rest of the car is in.

Hotrod25

It depends on how much the car is selling for. No one can tell you if it's worth it or not. You would need to decide if you are getting the vehicle for a good enough price - add the price of tires into the buying price.

Donald

Hotrod25 makes a good point, you simply need to factor exactly how much you think the tires will cost into your decision. Replacing the tires shouldn't be very difficult. If the owner is willing to negotiate reasonably, you might be able to get a great deal.

lamborg25

Well, that is a really good question. Have a look at the specifics. Besides, if the rest of the car is okay, you might want to take the car and find good tires that would be worth it.

Alexus

If tires is the only thing wrong with the vehicle, that would be a good thing. But just hope that nothing else has been neglected. When you buy used, you will have to put some money into it, to get it in tip-top shape.

lamborg25

True Alexus, I think Hang just has to be sure that everything else is okay. The truth of the matter is that you have to spend some money on a used car.

Lamboguy

Of the used cars I've bought, I've never had to put any money into them right away. I make sure they are in good condition before buying. New tires are expensive, so I'd rather just find a car that is all set.

AWOL

It depends on how good of a deal you are getting, how mechanically sound the car is, what kind of tires you might need to buy (like expensive performance tires, or off road tires) and weigh each item carefully. Go online and see what the same kind of car is selling for in your area. Good luck!

UGoGirl

If I was selling a car that was in good shape except for the tires, I wouldn't put new tires on it first. I would let the new owner select the type of tires they prefer.