Is OnStar worth it?

classicjuju

We've been thinking about getting OnStar enabled in our next vehicle but I'm hesitant with paying a monthly bill for a service that I might not need. It's great if there is an accident, of course, but how useful is it the rest of the time? Do you have OnStar and do you find it to be worth it?

smash

I had OnStar when I bought my last car. It was cool to have but I did not really need it. I did not renew the subscription once my free trial ran out. Its not something that was needed.

Ben

OnStar

I would not spring for the extra expense of having OnStar. My driving habits are such that I don't need the service. For older people, women and others who have different patterns of driving, the service could pay for itself should an emergency arise.

vroombaby

Do you have a house alarm? I pay my alarm bill each month and while I have never used it for an emergency I still use it every day when I lock and unlock my house. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. What happens if something goes wrong and your cell is dead?

Naptime

I have never had OnStar but I don't really think it is a necessity unless you live in an area that is fairly desolate. I mean even if you didn't have a phone to make a call there are always other motorists willing to help. Last time I blew out a tire I had like 6 people and a cop car stop to ask if I needed assistance.

RoseRed

I don't have OnStar and I don't feel the lack of it. (We don't have a house alarm either). Around here, it's fairly populated, so cell service tends to be good enough and people are friendly enough to stop if necessary.

Otto Von

My parents had OnStar installed on their newest vehicle when they bought it. After the 1 month trial period (or whatever it was) they decided not to renew it and pay the extra fee every month. For us, it really isn't a necessity, and we hope it stays that way!

classicjuju

So by the sounds of it, the only real value is during an emergency. I had thought that perhaps other services were included to make it more of a useful thing day to day. I won't bother with it, I guess.

Wildman

I would rather have it. I understand it doesn't cost that much and I would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it. I would also love to have satellite radio but I haven't gotten a chance to get it yet.