Junk Yards

Paul

I have an older Denali that really needs some attention and some interior items replaced. I thought about going to some junk yards to try and find some of the knobs and latches that I need. What do you think? How expensive is this going to be?

FenderBender

Scouring the junk yard is going to be by far your cheapest option. You can usually find just about anything you might need in one place too, which is a bonus. I buy a lot of parts this way. In fact, I just go a new (to me) bumper and Reese hitch at a junk yard for about $80.

bobc

Junk yards are a great place to get used parts cheap. I would call around though first to be sure they have Renaming parts. Good luck!!

Paul

Thanks folks. This sounds like a weekend project coming up. I will call around first though. That's always a good idea. Maybe I can find what I want at a low cost.

classicjuju

Definitely junk yards - auto salvage for the politically correct - are the way to go when you can. I'd especially check out the smaller or more rural places as they tend to be less expensive than those found in metropolitan areas.

Wildman

Call around instead of going there first. You can also get their prices for the items which may help to save you some money on the parts needed. Good luck!

Ben

I've been able to locate a few parts online, too. I've used both Craigslist and eBay and picked up some small parts for a fair price. Good luck with the junk yard search. We don't have many junk yards where I live.

UGoGirl

In your situation, I think that going the junk yard route makes a lot of sense. Many junk yards have quite an extensive inventory database, so it might be easier than you think, and much less expensive than buying new.

RoseRed

Junk yards are a great resource for the do-it-yourself type. You'll save a ton of money, provided you find what you need. I hope you do!

Flipit

I've had relatively good success finding parts at junk yards, too. My brother goes for a lot of his friends and saves them money in the long run. They are usually surprised when he finds something they've not been able to dig up at a decent price.

Midnight Tech

Administrator
I'd hit the "you-pullit" yards if there's any in your area. I scored a pair of Pathfinder bucket seats for my truck for $20 apiece. Plus taking it out yourself allows you to learn how to remove the part from your own vehicle if you haven't already.

Vroom Vroom

I agree with everyone that junk yards are the way to go. If you can't find what you are looking for, however, I would suggest trying eBay.

Wildman

I have to agree with everyone else. I would much rather pay $20 than $200. You will also find a lot of the parts you may not have thought about such as some car accessories which may have been left in the car when it was sold to the junk yard. Some vehicles may be hard to find but you can usually find it somewhere.

S

simonjames

Parts for vehicles can be confusing for some purchasers without a asset to buy. Salvage businesses remain one choice that purchasers use to find new and classic edition components for vehicles.