Keeping a center punch in the car

Pete

Because of electronic windows, a news report I saw a while back suggested keeping a center punch in the car so you can break the window in case you need to escape the car. What do you think?

Rodney

I usually have lots of tools in my truck, but this does make sense for someone who doesn't normally have that stuff in their vehicle. Odds are you'd never need it, but better to be safe than sorry, right?

Devan

I usually have lots of tools in my truck, but this does make sense for someone who doesn't normally have that stuff in their vehicle. Odds are you'd never need it, but better to be safe than sorry, right?
Agreed Rodney. You never know what you will need when on the road especially if you travel a lot and in places that are desolate. I guess I watch too many movies, but the underwater, can't get out of the car stuff, really gets to me.

Donnie

Center punch

We had a terrible tragedy here some years ago. It was freezing cold, and some high school seniors were leaving their play practice headed home. Their car slid into a small pond, filled with water and they could not get out of the car. I've often wondered if having a car punch would have helped them survive. It was a tiny pond.

ICU2

I think it's a good idea. If not a center punch then something else that can break the glass in the case of an emergency. You never know what might happen on the road.

Spokane

Better safe than sorry I say. The thought of drowning in my car gives me the shivers. Funny how when some things become more convenient they also become a safety hazard as well.

Vroom Vroom

A center punch is a great idea. Most of them also have a blade on the other end in case you have to cut yourself out of your seat belt. The trick is to put it somewhere that is close enough so that you can easily reach it if you need it.