Key release on a stick shift

PEZluvr

My brother has a stick shift truck and I noticed he has to push a button to get the key out, and my automatic doesn't do that. Why does a stick shift do that?

vroombaby

I have never actually seen that before. What type of truck is it? I must be getting old and this is some new fancy whatnot.

PEZluvr

I don't remember what model it is. It's an old truck so it isn't a new thing. Maybe it's an old thing and they don't do that anymore? I'll have to remember to ask him next time I talk to him.

MaximumSpeed

I've seen that before. Every manual transmission vehicle I've ever driven has one. I'm not really sure *why* though, as I have been unable to find anything about it.

PEZluvr

Well, thanks for looking. If anybody knows why they do that on stick shifts but not on automatics, I sure would like to know what the answer is.

FenderBender

I don't think I have ever seen that either but it seems that they have them on a manual and not on an automatic. Maybe it is just a safety thing.

Lindsey

I drive a stick shift and there is no push button to release the key. Maybe it's the make and model of the vehicle more than the fact that it's a stick shift. I do know some older vehicles had this feature.

PEZluvr

I found some information about it, finally, but it is still just guessing and not a definite answer. Here is what I found, on one of the question and answer sites out there:

Why do you need to push a button to release a key from the ignition of a Jeep Wrangler?
I am very curious about what purpose this button lock serves? I cannot imagine ignition keys fall out by accident and clearly this is not an issue for most other cars.

If you have a manual transmission they have been like that for many years (all makes not just jeeps). I have never seen a setup like that in a vehicle with an automatic trans. I believe it is to ensure that you have the vehicle shutoff before you remove the keys.
Source(s):
chrysler/dodge/jeep/mitsubishi parts guy for 9yrs.

Alexus

I have seen some older model trucks that operated like that. The first time I encountered it, I didn't know and almost broke it, trying to yank the key out!