Key ring

Lamboguy

The key ring for my nissan that you use to open the car with and set the alarm won't stay closed so I asked the Nissan dealer how much it is to get it replaced and they said 180 bucks! That sounds crazy to me. I'm going to walk around with tape on it for a while. I can't fork over that kind of money for a key ring right now.

AWOL

Wow! That's ridiculous! I have to agree with you...tape is much cheaper and it should work fine for you. I just looked up car remotes to see if I could find it cheaper online...even my car costs $119 to replace, and I have a no frills car key remote.

NeedNewWheels

Is it like a remote key ring? That is really unfortunate. When I tried to get a spare key made for my Focus they said that if I want one that can start the car it will be almost $200. I guess it has a special chip in it. I got a cheap one that can unlock the car but that's it.

Guy

Isn't it just amazing how many little automotive annoyances a little black tape can solve? I have never opened one of those remotes up, but I wonder if the "guts" could just be transferred to a new little plastic cover??

vroombaby

You can order these online and have them programmed at the dealership, its much cheaper this way. I forget how much I paid for mine but I know it was not more than maybe 40 dollars, tops. To get it reprogrammed (even though its never been programmed, I hate that they call it that) it was maybe ten bucks.

FenderBender

I need a new one too and I won't pay the dealership price of over $100. I do know that you can find them on Ebay and stuff much cheaper but you have to make sure you get one that is compatible with your car so look for the serial number on the back of your key ring.

SpeedyG

I have a Nissan as well. My keychain remote went out after only a couple of months. I have simply used the spare one ever since. At least, it is still working.

Alexus

The remotes do cost a lot of money to replace. They are great to have, and you really have to do your best not to lose them. Once you've been using it, it is hard to get by without one. It's like not knowing how to turn on the TV without the remote!