Kids as passengers

Speedo

I did not let my kids ride behind me on my bike until both feet could rest firmly on both foot pedals at the same time, plus their helmet fit well. We only went around the block, and were told that any horseplay whatsoever would mean waiting at least a full year until their next ride. They've worked up to short rides into town, but none has gone on the highway with me yet.

Angelinus

Did they behave well? You know I have never seen a child here riding pillion, is there a law about the age they can start? I remember being shocked in Thailand when I saw whole families on one bike!

MotorX

When I was 5 and my brother was 6, my parents had two motorcycles and we rode them a lot. I usually rode behind my mom and my brother usually rode behind my dad, but sometimes my dad and I went places without them. That was in the 70s in upstate New York, so I don't know if laws have changed since then.

CherryRed

If I had a motorcycle, I would only ride out in the rural areas since I don't really trust the crazy drivers here in the burbs. I would be too afraid of getting in a wreck with one of my kids on the back.

fiat500

Did they behave well? You know I have never seen a child here riding pillion, is there a law about the age they can start? I remember being shocked in Thailand when I saw whole families on one bike!
In Thailand there is probably an equal number of motorbikes and cars. Especially in the urban rural almost every household has got a motorbike which means kids are exposed to it at an early age. However, it is undeniably dangerous. But parents usually don't let their kids ride in the back without a support or until the child is old enough to understand the danger of misbehaving while on a motorbike. Besides, kids do learn to ride bicycles at young age so they know how to behave when riding a motorbike.

Mustang37

My dad does not like to take my daughter (14) because she wiggles too much and he has a hard time holding the bike up. I road with my dad when I was little, I can remember it. I would say I probably was under 10.

terri

My friends granddaughter has ridden on her other grandmothers Harley since she was about 6. She is 12 now and she loves riding that bike. She does wear a helmet though. That girl isn`t afraid of anything.