Lean which way?

Hotrod25

Who would have thought that you would lean the way you are turning when on a motorcycle? Not me nor my daughter. It's a hard lesson to learn when you are a kid.

I can remember my dad trying to teach me when I was younger, and now he is trying to teach my daughter.

When you lean towards the turn you feel like you could tip the bike - so why would you lean that way? Please explain.

MotorX

You're actually more likely to lay the bike down if you lean away from the turn. You're supposed to keep yourself at the same angle as the bike.

FenderBender

Whether you are on a motorcycle, bicycle, jet ski or anything similar you lean into the turn because you are joining the vehicle in it's motion. If you lean opposite then you are fighting the vehicle's motion.

NeedNewWheels

When my father let me ride his motorcycle with him when I was a kid he stressed the importance of turning with the bike. Otherwise you are more likely to turn the bike over. Don't fight the motion of the bike.

Hotrod25

Thanks for explaining it all - I do know you are supposed to lean with the turn but wasn't sure why. My dad always just told me to lean that way! My daughter is still trying to learn and he is grumpy at times.

NeedNewWheels

Thanks for explaining it all - I do know you are supposed to lean with the turn but wasn't sure why. My dad always just told me to lean that way! My daughter is still trying to learn and he is grumpy at times.
He is probably getting grumpy because it's important. I've heard that you can really do some damage to yourself and the bike if you don't lean correctly. He doesn't want her to get hurt.

vroombaby

Its very simple and sometimes being blunt is needed: if you don't lean, you fall. Falling hurts a great deal more than a little worry when it comes to leaning. Just do it.