lightening question

vroombaby

Does anyone know the chances of a car being struck by lightening? We have had some nasty storms lately and finally thinking about it seriously I realized we park our vehicles under a metal carport. Any ideas?

Rodney

It can happen, but you're not likely to have much damage since the tires ground the vehicle. My dad's car got struck by lightning when I was a kid and we were driving and all that happened was it knocked out the radio.

Donnie

Lightening

I've always heard that a car is one of the safe places to be when it is lightening. If it weren't for the wind and rain, it might be a place to weather out a storm.

FenderBender

Your car is relatively safe if struck by lightening because of the rubber tires. I wouldn't make it my first choice in weathering through a storm but if you are caught out in it I wouldn't worry too much.

vroombaby

I have heard of stories before with minor damaged but I have never known anyone first hand that went through it. Sometimes I wonder about our outside cat too since she likes to lay across the hood of my car (in any weather).

Opal

I've always heard that a car is one of the safe places to be when it is lightening. If it weren't for the wind and rain, it might be a place to weather out a storm.
Me too Donnie. When I was a kid and we were driving in a thunderstorm, my folks always said we were safe, just don't touch anything metal inside the car. I think they were just trying to keep us kids quiet. :smile:

Spokane

I have heard of stories before with minor damaged but I have never known anyone first hand that went through it. Sometimes I wonder about our outside cat too since she likes to lay across the hood of my car (in any weather).
I can't imagine a car getting major damage because of lightning. Maybe because of other parts of the storm, but not the lightning.

But your cat? Yeah, he or she can get fried in a storm. I love cats and mine stay inside.

Born2Ride

I always heard that lightning wouldn't strike a car because of the tires. When it does hit a car, it means the car was actually touching something metal that was touching the ground and acting as a conductor.

vroombaby

I remember when my dad was an EMT and he told me about a vehicle they had to help that was struck and it was also raining. I wonder if he told me the story when I was a tad too young since it has stuck with me all of this time.

Calvin

I know I've never been afraid of the lightening when I've been in a car because I heard the same old stories about the tires conducting the electricity into the ground. Usually the rain makes me head for shelter during thunderstorms.