Lubricity: Yep, that is what I said.

Hi,

I have a diesel utility tractor. As all of you know diesel engines have a problem some times in cold weather with the fuel "getting thick" or Jelly like in nature. I don't have that problem at this time, because some old farmer advised me to use not only the diesel fuel they sell for cars (that is what my unit is supposed to use anyhow), but when the weather gets a little cold (below 20F), to add a little anti-jell material to the gas, but also to use 50% Kerosene in the tractor. I called the company and they said it was O.K. to do that.

I have never had a problem with either the "Jell" problem or the diesel not starting and it sets out in the cold. Just this past week temps have been below 0 degrees F, and with 30 MPH winds. Wind chills about 25 below 0, but the darn thing started on the first touch of the starter.

Back to the heading of the post. Lubricity is the lubrication that is provided by the regular diesel fuel, so when the weather gets warm, you need to change back to the regular diesel fuel and not the Kerosene, because Kerosene does not provide the Lubricity (lubrication) that an engine needs in warmer weather. That is what I was told by the company and this old farmer. Don't ask me, that is what I was told.

A second thought, many school buses in the local area (most are not bio-diesel) are having a severe problem with Jelling, and in addition, some fungus is being found in the main supply lines of their diesel supply tanks. One corporation with about 30 busses, had 26 of them not start and all had to have their fuel filter removed and changed to get rid of jelling fuel and/or the fungus stuff.

The reason for the post is to inquire if anyone has any problems like this with their diesel cars???? Many years ago, I had a diesel VW, but only had one time the fuel got thick enough to keep it from running. Please tell me about these more modern diesel car engines.

grumpygit

In the UK the fuel companies supply different diesel depending on the time of year to stop the problem.
In the past i have had to mix paraffin (kerosene) with diesel in winter to stop jelling, but nowadays it's not a problem.