Mercedes adding a fifth compact car.

Alexus

When I think Mercedes, I think full-size luxury car. But Mercedes obviously wants to get in on the small-car bandwagon. Well, I shouldn't say "get in". Obviously, they are well into establishing themselves that way, since they plan on releasing a fifth compact car in 2014. http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110907/COPY01/309079790/1499&SectionCat=product I just don't know how I feel about that. I am sure that this small car will also be luxurious, but when I want to drive or ride in a Mercedes, I just want to be able to stretch out and enjoy it.

Skippy

Mercedes actually has some pretty luxurious compact cars. They still have all the power and luxury of a larger Mercedes they are just smaller. I think they are trying to get more people to purchase them since most people these days can't afford a full size luxury car but a smaller, cheaper version is palatable.

Gomera

With the economy the way it is and the concern with the environment, it does make solid sense. That said, I'm with you in that it's not how I think of this luxury brand.

Donald

I don't think you have to worry about Mercedes abandoning full-size luxury cars. There will probably always be a market for those, some people hate compact cars. That being said, I think it's smart for Mercedes to adapt with the times. Companies like BMW have already been making small luxury cars for years, but with the current trends, Mercedes has to try even harder to compete.

Alexus

I suppose if you are looking to purchase a compact car, you can't go wrong if it is the Mercedes brand. I guess I just associate "compact" with being "inexepensive", and when I hear "Mercedes", "inexpensive" doesn't come to mind at all.

vroombaby

Between Lexus and Mercedes something new is always popping up and going sideways. I can honestly never keep up with what they are doing or plan to do next.