Motorcycle License

Bentley

What does it take to obtain a motorcycle license? As far as a regular license goes, you are required to take a driving test before you are given a license. But, what about motorcycles? Do you have to take a driving/riding test?

MaximumSpeed

It probably depends on where you live. In Alabama, for instance, the only thing you do to get a motorcycle license is pass a written test.

philio

Yeah, every state is different. Some states make you take a drivers ed of sorts for motor cycles, some make you do written and road tests and others just make you do the written test from what I understand.

Hotrod25

I'm pretty sure here there is a driving test as well as a written test. You can call your local DMV and ask them. I bet it is different in every state (you would not think it would be but the DMV is odd).

MotorX

I just had to do a written test and that was all that was required when I got mine. I could have passed a driving test, though, if I had to take one.

Donald

Considering how brutal motorcycle accidents often are, I can't believe some states only require a written test. You could probably learn enough to pass a written test without ever even getting on a bike. I've heard too many awful stories about bad accidents, you would think that there would be more concern for public safety.

FenderBender

I don't think that my dad had to take a driving test for his motorcycle license. It was just an additional written test and then he got a notation on his regular license. I would guess that it varies from state to state though.

DMan

I had to do a written road test. For the road test, they set up pylons in the parking lot so you could demonstrate that you could maneuver around them. Then they had you drive around the block while they watched to see if you signaled and braked properly.

vroombaby

I think that is kind of silly, just because you are book smart does not mean you are smart when it comes to actually maneuvering a bike on the roads, in traffic with people around you doing who knows what. I think it should be just like a car/truck test.