My only words wisdom:

rogerdugans

In 25 some years of being a shade-tree (aka backyard) mechanic I have only learned one piece of mechanical wisdom that I have never found faulty:

Get a manual for the vehicle.

Doesn't matter what the vehicle is- car, bike, snowmobile, etc...
get a decent shop manual.

Manufacturer books can be great but are EXPENSIVE. There are "aftermarket" manuals for just about every vehicle around for $25 to $50 USD.

EVERY single vehicle I have ever worked on has had a few strange quirks somewhere or other: unseen linkage, hidden bolt or some other piece that can be removed easily.....once you know HOW.

I have yet to see any manual that didn't miss something, but they always had info I would have missed had I not had one.
The Internet kinda makes this less vital but.... well, keyboards don't like grease and grime much, and using a laptop under a car on jackstands is pretty annoying. :D

I'm no pro mechanic but there is NOTHING mechanical on a motor vehicle I am unwilling to work on* as long as I have a manual.

*Exception: automatic transmissions. The befuddle me. I'll replace 'em or adjust the linkage but other than that the ONLY thing I'll do is add fluid.