Navigation System

Road_Runner

We are in the market for a new car a little sooner than I expected. I am wondering if I should spring for the navigation system that comes with the car or should I just buy a new GPS on my own?

Auto_Clueless

I think they charge too much for a GPS when it is in the car already. I think for what they do, it is better if you just buy one for a couple of hundred dollars. They do look cute when they are part of the dashboard, but do you really want the price of the car to go up for more than a thousand dollars?

Max

I think that it would be very hard for me to justify the cost of an in-dash navigation system. If you make a lot of use of it, then it might make more sense.

silverfox

I bought a GPS when I moved so I could find my way around better. I was always getting lost. I love the little gadget. I only paid $150 for it. It works great.

Donald

I agree with Auto_Clueless. Car companies will try to make an extra buck off you wherever they can. In cases like this where you can replace what they're offering with an independent purchase, I think you should almost always go that route.

Smooth

It's nice to have a GPS system in your dash, but it is not all that necessary when you can buy one for a lot cheaper and use the materials included in the box to attach it to your dash. I bought my GPS for about $120 and it works perfect for me.

philio

I like getting a separate GPS. Think about it this way, a navigation system stays with that car, but a GPS system can go anywhere you do.

MaximumSpeed

If it will add $1,000+ to the price of the car, that's ridiculous and not worth it. The GPS units available now are easy to install (usually suction cups or something that attaches to a vent) and a WHOLE LOT cheaper! Plus the portability that philio mentioned - useful if you have more than one vehicle, like me.

Guy

I would never even make use of either a navigation system or a GPS unit. I'm just curious how often you use yours and in what situations?

Bentley

I have never even considered purchasing a car with a GPS built in. I have my own trusty Garmin GPS that I got for FREE. Yes, free. I won it at some promotional type event.

FenderBender

I say skip the navigation system and the GPS because if you have a smartphone turn by turn navigation apps come standard. I used to have a Garmin but it was wrong all the time.

SpeedyG

I have never even used a GPS device. Unless I am charting the high seas I can get around quite fine the old-fashioned way. Needless to say, I would never spring that kind of extra cash for a factory installed one (especially when they can be purchased separately for so much less).

DMan

I agree with FenderBender, that the way to go is with your smartphone if you have one. The only way I'd go with an on-board model was if I was buying a car off the lot and they were throwing it in at almost no cost.

chloe_lin

Car player with GPS navigation system is really cool to my family when tend to travel around for a relaxing time. You know the kn6 and gd3,which is the favorite game of my kids, loving it so much.

brian1983

Dont spend a lot for the GPS~!100000% not worth it!!
you know, you can buy a universal Andriod system for your car from Ebay
cost under 400USD, free GPS update