Not heating quickly

Hotrod25

My new car seems to take a bit longer to get warm in the morning. I used to start the car and let it sit for about 5 minutes and the rear window would be defrosted. It seems to take about 10 now – do you think I should have the temperature thing tested (for the heater)?

Guy

In my experience a thermostat usually just quits. It has never been a progressive thing when I have had a thermostat fail but maybe that was just how it went with mine.

FenderBender

It may just be that the new car doesn't heat up as quickly as the old one did. Temperatures vary widely from car to car. Mine will usually heat up in about 5 minutes but the significant others takes about 15 or more.

SpeedyG

In my experience the warm-up time varies from car to car as well. My truck takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes on a cold morning.

Hotrod25

I'm thinking that it's probably just a slower "heating up" car. Grrrr - I don't like that at all. I'm going to have to get up earlier in the morning to make up for the extra time it takes to defrost the windows.

Alexus

Where do you live? If it is very cold where you are, then there is probably not much you can do about it. It does seem strange that a new car would have heating issues, though.

Lindsey

That is not fair at all. Get rid of the old for a new improved version and then it's not as good as the old one. It probably wouldn't hurt to mention the problem at the dealership where you made your purchase, in case there's just a simple adjustment that needs to be made.

DMan

If your car has a thermostat, it could be sticking and so not heating up as quickly as it should. This is a fairly easy thing to check and even if you need to replace it, the cost is relatively minimal.

Lamboguy

In my experience, cars seem to warm up faster if you drive them. It doesn't take long at all for mine to heat up, although I do live in Florida it is very cold here right now and I noticed a difference in starting the car this morning. I'm sure the older the car the longer it takes to warm up though.

PEZluvr

I think that different cars just heat differently. Did you get lucky enough to have a remote starter? That would make it a lot easier to heat it up before you leave the house.

Hotrod25

I actually bought the car from my parents, it was my grandmothers. So there is no dealership involved. I just start the car 10 minutes earlier so it's good and warm when I take off.

Alexus

So, the car is not actually new, then? It's just new to you? You should probably get it checked and see if has a real problem.