Oil Changes

Opal

How many miles can I safely drive over the recommended oil change number? Sometimes I let it go as much as 3,000 over. Is this safe?

Vroom Vroom

I have heard that it is okay to let it go over that much, but it kind of depends on who you talk to or what you read. I typically change my oil about that often and so far I haven't had any problems.

Spokane

I always keep checking the oil once a week to see what the color is. When it gets too dark for my taste, I change it. It's usually around the 2,000 mile mark.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Synthetic or regular? The 0-20 weight synthetics are being pushed as much as 10,000 between oil changes.

RoseRed

I used to get it changed about every 3000 miles, but the manual for my Mazda 5 advises every 7500 miles, I believe, so I go by that now.

Marcus

I usually change mine between 3,000 and 5,000. I think Spokane has the right idea about checking the color. If you don't feel like checking it every week, every other week would be fine.

vroombaby

How hard are you driving the car? I know with the new one we got the did an extend for all vehicles in our house so even if we take a car we did not buy with the place (family owned in our area), they still change all oil for ten bucks. If you can snag a deal like that there really is no excuse to go over the recommended time.

S

simmi

Hi,
The car oil should be changed after 6000 Kilometers.:mullet: