Oil type?

Mustang37

What kind of oil do you use in your vehicles? I keep seeing all these commercials for this better oil or enhanced oil. I use the normal stuff and change it every 3000 miles. What do you use?

Miata_Matyr

Just a semi-synthetic oil is fine for any standard car thats not over 20yo. The only time you gotta worry bout oil is if you have an older vehicle (high viscocity/thicker oil) or a performance vehicle (fully synthetic, low viscocity/thinner grade).

All the ultra magnetech stuff is just fancy words!

HomeMechanic

Since the model Saturn that I own is notorious for burning oil, I buy the cheap stuff and just accept the fact that it's my monthly payment for the car. LOL Why pay for the good stuff if it's just burnt away?

Mustang37

Oh no... I'm glad my car isn't a oil burner! I would hate to have to remember to keep checking the oil. Right now I just check it every 3000 miles when I change it. I use the boring normal stuff.

roller

What is the difference between the expensive and the regular oil? The name.

I also use the cheap ones because I think they don't have much difference from the expensive oils. It is the brand name that makes them expensive.

HomeMechanic

Oh no... I'm glad my car isn't a oil burner! I would hate to have to remember to keep checking the oil. Right now I just check it every 3000 miles when I change it. I use the boring normal stuff.
Even though the car burns about a quart of oil a month, it's still a great car and get's great mileage. On top of that, it's completely paid for. Yay! :)

Fanbelt

I use the standard oil and change it every 2500 miles as they advised me. What about water based oils? I ever read somewhere that a water based oil brand is available in the market. Is it right? Have you ever tried it?

HomeMechanic

What is the difference between the expensive and the regular oil? The name.

I also use the cheap ones because I think they don't have much difference from the expensive oils. It is the brand name that makes them expensive.
Bingo! The name is what makes one brand of oil more expensive as the other. For example, Walmart brand oil is cheaper than the name brands, but if you do some research, you'll find that one company supplies both Walmart and a nationally recognized name brand.

Fanbelt

For example, Walmart brand oil is cheaper than the name brands, but if you do some research, you'll find that one company supplies both Walmart and a nationally recognized name brand.
Interesting. What about the quality? Is the oil the company supplies Walmart is as good as it of the recognized name brand? I assume that the company produce different types of oil for different clients.

Weezer

I disagree. There are detergents and other differences in the oil that would make it unwise to change to another brand of oil from your usual. I have always used the same type of oil in my vehicles and I have a lot less trouble than when I was using various types of oil.

highbeam

I disagree. There are detergents and other differences in the oil that would make it unwise to change to another brand of oil from your usual. I have always used the same type of oil in my vehicles and I have a lot less trouble than when I was using various types of oil.
I concur with this. I remember my father telling all of us (me and my brothers) that when you decide on a type of oil, it is best to stick to that oil.

Slowpoke

That is actually true THEN but now with the newer engines you can change oil brands or even mix oil brands. With the newer engines, it is usually a thinner oil though so watch out for that.