OnStar is watching you

MaximumSpeed

I just read this article about OnStar. If you have it, be sure to read through the terms and conditions carefully, because apparently they have you *agree* that they are allowed to essentially spy on you.

FenderBender

I heard about this on the radio the other day and it made me really glad that I have never had and never plan to have OnStar in my vehicle. I can't believe that they can still legally track your vehicle after you terminate your contract with them.

Hotrod25

I heard about this too and was shocked! I don't have OnStar and I won't be getting it any time soon. Heck, doesn't the Government know enough about us - now OnStar wants to spy too!

Lamboguy

I've had their service one time. I only used them once to unlock a car. I don't have the service anymore, but it's still installed in my car. I don't like the idea of anyone spying or following what I'm doing. It's an invasion of privacy to me.

vroombaby

Why would you expect anything less? Honestly I do love the idea of an helpful service in the auto like that but not if they plan to spy on me. I hate the idea of prying eyes, or in this case, video monitors.

Skippy

I think it is really disturbing that they have the right to continue keeping tabs on you and selling your information even after you are no longer a customer. Supposedly it is in the fine print of their contract but how many people actually read it?

Donald

Similar to Vroombaby, this doesn't really surprise me. I was already aware of the iPhone situation mentioned at the bottom of the article, but I still kept my iPhone. These companies will do anything they can to get information about you if they can use it to make money. If the service they provide is valuable enough, they'll probably continue to get away with it. I'm not saying it's always a malicious thing, but it might be wise to actually start reading their long contracts, just to be safe.

Gomera

I was going to mention the phone issues as well. All of this technology is great, but it also has some major negative issues. Worse, most people do not even know about it.

Alexus

I was riding with a friend who has it the other day. He needed directions, and they told him that he had to subscribe for that service and be charged a monthly fee. We couldn't understand what it was he should already be getting for the service?

MaximumSpeed

Lambo, maybe you should get it uninstalled, if possible. I have a lot of friends who call me when they're out and around; they figure I can help them as much as "onstar" could.

UGoGirl

I guess the protection they offer comes at a price. Seems like a double edged sword to me. I personally don't like the idea and would steer clear of OnStar.