Osama bin Laden killed in shootout, Obama says

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed in a firefight with U.S. forces in Pakistan on Sunday, President Barack Obama announced, ending a nearly 10-year worldwide hunt for the mastermind of the September 11 attacks.

"Justice has been done," Obama said in a hastily called, late-night White House speech revealing the death of the elusive head of the militant Islamic group behind a series of bloody attacks in cities across the world.

His death, confirmed by officials in Pakistan, was a huge symbolic blow to al Qaeda, which has been beaten back but is still a threat in many countries.

It prompted jubilant flag-waving celebrations in Washington and New York. It was the biggest national security victory for Obama since he took office in early 2009 and could give him a political boost as he seeks re-election in 2012.

more http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/02/us-obama-statement-idUSTRE74107920110502

Testdriving

Obama announced Osama's death, now that's interesting. And it's good news but some people doubt that who's killed is the real Osama. But I think the President wouldn't announced it if they were not sure about it.

Dodge Doll

With the technological advances today, I can't say I believe a lot of any of the news about Osama Bin Laden's death.

I guess I watched a certain Dustin Hoffman movie once too often.... if you haven't seen WAG THE DOG, watch it, and THEN tell me what you think of the U.S. Presidents' announcement. :D

Testdriving

Wag The Dog, starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert de Niro, right? Yes I have seen it and it's one of my favorite movies actually. I read that in the novel, the fake war operation is explicitly Desert Storm.

Fanbelt

I read other news about OBL. Al Qaeda has confirmed his death and they swore they would take a revenge for that. It's a bit scary, but they will still terrorize no matter he is alive or dead.