Premium Gas

racergrl

...is it really worth the extra bucks? I'll admit, I've never used it, but I'm taking care of a friend's car right now and he left strict instructions to only put in Premium gas. I have to wonder if anyone's noticed it really helping the car in any way.

Mustang37

I don't know. I don't buy it! If I want premium I'll add a booster to the gas. I have always been told that all you need is the regular. I haven't had any problems with regular gas.

Fanbelt

I have never used it either. Certainly premium gas has higher octane levels which will get your car performing better and the combustion room cleaner, but not to the point that I will leave the regular one and move to it. It is way too expensive for me.

RedHot

It doesn't matter what gas you use. If your car is tuned up properly it can run on regular without problems. I wouldn't pay the extra for it. If your car doesn't run correctly on the regular you need to have it checked out and see what's wrong.

roller

My father is always comparing cars with our bodies. He said that if we feed the cars with low quality fuels then it will become weak just like us eating junk foods. Premium gas is really expensive but it will surely make the car run better.

Well, I don't follow what my father advised me because I don't have the budget to buy premium gas.

Miata_Matyr

Premium gas makes the biggest difference when you use it consistently. I have been trying to use it lately as my car is getting older and I have some gas discount vouchers. It does seem to last a little bit longer, or maybe I just think that!

chillen

That must run in many families as that's how I was raised too. I sometimes hate the idea of the price but I do love the idea that my auto's are getting the "good stuff". I would always rather be safe than sorry.

Fanbelt

My father is always comparing cars with our bodies. He said that if we feed the cars with low quality fuels then it will become weak just like us eating junk foods. Premium gas is really expensive but it will surely make the car run better.

Well, I don't follow what my father advised me because I don't have the budget to buy premium gas.
Nice analogy, and you remind me of organic and non organic food. Organic food is obviously healthier than the non organic one. The only thing keeping me from consuming it is the price.

Mustang37

I'm thinking the same as most here... take care of your vehicle and it will run well. Make sure you get it tuned up every year and you don't need to real expensive gas.

chevygirl

My parents both have 1970 camaros & they always use premium gas. They said if they put regular in, the cars don't run correctly. I relaly don't know much about it though.

Slowpoke

Most cars and I would even say about 99% of cars will run just fine on regular unleaded gasoline for THEY WERE BUILT that way. In this financial crisis, I would say that to use premium gas is more a luxury than a necessity.

AlabamaAllen

I try not to switch brands OR grades of gasoline. It does make a difference if you switch off. They add different additives and detergents to each brand of gas so you do erode the seals and gaskets quicker if you use something different. However, I've always used regular without any problem.

junker

Keep using whatever your car is used to, and it will keep running good. I've heard that premium has additives in it that help keep your injectors clean. I don't know if that's true though.