Radio Keeps cutting in and out

CherryRed

My second vehicle is driving me insane! Every time I hit a bump the radio either will turn on or turn off. When it turns on it's all static and I can't turn it off with the knobs. It's a factory radio and I don't know how to get it out of the dash or disconnect it. It's a 1997 Plymouth Voyager.

Kohn

This sounds like there are loose connections somewhere inside the radio. Definitely there is a loose connection along the power supply route, and another loose connection on the frequency route. If it's a 1997 Plymount, then that radio has been there for 14 long years. Wear and tear have taken their toll.

Last edited:

LDriver

I've a similar experience. It's annoying when the situation seem out of control. I would take it to a car mechanic to help me take the radio out.

Wayne

There are car audio places around that could help you out with this too. I had a radio in my travel trailer that was doing something like you describe. They did the trouble shooting and it only cost me $15.

Crissy

I would not take it to a mechanic! They will over charge you on that. It does sound like a loose wire or something. I would take it to a place that sells car radios (like Best Buy) because they often will have an area behind the store where they help customers install new radios and they won't charge nearly as much as a mechanic would. We had Best Buy help us once and they were great!