Rain-X

MaximumSpeed

I know Rain-X is made for windshields, but I wonder how it would work as a sort of wax coating for the whole car? Has anyone tried it? Is there any reason NOT to try it?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Rain X is basically a silicone oil suspended in an alcohol carrier solvent. It will strip any wax you have on the paint. It will protect your paint, but for a few days at most. And then you would be left without anything on it.

I personally would not use it. I used it when it first came out on the windshield. Used a foam pad to apply it and it ate the foam pad with the left over that was on it.

Alexus

I don't know why you would really want to do that. It repels the water from your windshield, but if you want to do your whole car, that is what wax is for.

FiveSpeed

Yeah, Rain-X and car wax are two completely different products. You can wax your windshield and it performs like Rain-X, but I wouldn't put Rain-X on the painted surfaces of my car

Hotrod25

No way would I use it on my entire car. It is made for glass not your car. I would be afraid that it would ruin the paint - even though they say it won't. I'm not taking that chance!

vroombaby

I doubt I would try that either, while the idea is nice the aftermath might not be. I hate the idea of trying new things like this just because a car is so expensive, taking the chance to damage it just to save it from rain is not worth it. Give it a good bath, let it roam free in the rain but always take care of it after (get that hard water and acid water off it). That is why we invented garages and carports right?

SpeedyG

I use Rain X all the time for my windshield and windows. I stick to good old-fashioned Turtle Wax for the rest of the vehicle. :peace!:

AWOL

I totally see what maximumspeed was thinking when they originally posted the question. Someone who doesn't know the differences between what rainx does and what a wax does. Great information from Jason to explain the difference and why you wouldn't want to use rainx on your car.

Guy

Rainex makes a car washing solution, so there's no need to use the stuff that's meant for glass on the whole car. The car wash solution works GREAT.

DMan

Rain-X works great on the windshield. I love when products do what they promise. I've also used it on the lights once or twice, but other than that I stick to wax for the body.

PEZluvr

I use Rain-X all the time on my windshield. It never occurred to me to even consider putting it on the rest of the car. I use it on the back windshield sometimes, too.

FenderBender

I wouldn't use it on any painted surface. If you are tempted, I would test it out on a small non visible area and then check it out after 24 hours or so.

Alexus

I don't think that there would be a reason to need the type of protection that Rain-X provides on the rest of your car. For that, you need something stronger, like wax.