Recycled Tires

Spokane

Does anyone know if they still take old tires and recycle them to where they help make asphalt? I know years ago that was on the news, but I'm not hearing anything about it lately.

Opal

The last thing I heard about recycled tires was they are now shredding them to use on playgrounds so kids won't get hurt when they fall. It's a good idea and I hear it's working well. You may have to call around to find out about this and the asphalt.

Hotrod25

I always wondered what they did with old tires. Here in my town we have tire amnesty days, you can take 4 tires back that day. I don't think you can recycle tires any other day.

Devan

You could always do what they do in the deep South. Paint them white, lay them in the front yard and plant flowers in them. Tractor tires are especially good for this. More room for flowers. :wiggle2:

Last edited:

Donnie

I do know that someone keeps dumping old tires on some property a cousin of mine owns. He is continually having to go out and haul tires to the dump. The dump charges him, too. He hasn't been able to find anyone who accepts them for recycling.

FenderBender

I am not sure if they still accept them for recycling but I know there are companies that use them for playgrounds and mulching so you could call around and see. I usually just let the company that puts my new tires on keep the old ones so I don't have to deal with this.

ICU2

I'm sure they do. If you want to find out more about it you could always call your local Department of Transportation and ask them. I'm sure they would know about your local recycling programs.

Born2Ride

The last thing I heard about recycled tires was they are now shredding them to use on playgrounds so kids won't get hurt when they fall. It's a good idea and I hear it's working well. You may have to call around to find out about this and the asphalt.
Here, they used shredded tires for the new exercise area near our county's walking trails. They ran something in the paper about bringing your old tires to a certain place for a set amount of time. I guess a lot of people did.