Save on Gas

harleydoll

What is the best way to save on gas? I heard a rumor that if you ride the break, you use up less gas than you would if you come to a complete stop. At this point, with these prices, I'm willing to try just about anything.

vroombaby

Do you want to substitute less gas for more brakes later down the line? I tend to pay attention to the trips I need to make, taking the best route, using the least bit of gas possible. I also save from a grocery card so I can get discounted gas. Every little bit helps. :)

MaximumSpeed

I seriously doubt riding the brake would help on gas usage. It seems to me that it would have the opposite effect, on top of causing the brakes to wear out more quickly.

striker

According to this riding the break actually uses more gas. And, like the other two said, it'll just wear out your breaks. However, less hard stops and goes will help.

vroombaby

I had to drive the truck today, in the blazing heat and even trying to save gas the truck sucks down a ton of it. We did not even go that far and I am sitting on 1/2 a tank right now.

UGoGirl

I limit trips to town to only two per week. Since we have become disciplined with this rule, we have saved quite a bit of money. We also make sure we use the most efficient route when doing town chores.

Pete

Ideally, I'd drive a car with manual transmission because you can control the revs of the engine. By doing that, you can save more gasoline as you drive. The higher the revs, the more gas used and vice versa. If it's allowed where you drive, you can also pop the clutch and cost to stops. That'll help, too.

vroombaby

Being able to plan your trips better when you are hitting more than one place works great, its a time saver too. This week we had a trip that we timed right about two hours and we ended up hitting 6 different places up, with a kid in the car at the same time. Total circle completed the trip.

Tony

What is the best way to save on gas? I heard a rumor that if you ride the break, you use up less gas than you would if you come to a complete stop. At this point, with these prices, I'm willing to try just about anything.
Not sure where you heard this but what'll happen is you'll end up wearing our your brake pads and rotors. Not good. If you want to conserve gas, drive conservatively. That means no quick starts or tail gating.