Saying hello

rogerdugans

I actually stumbled upon this place in a roundabout way- checking "spambot" email addresses got me a link here from Google. ;)

But since I am something of a motorhead (mildly lapsed), figured I'd look around a bit. Not sure how much I'll be around, but you never know. ;)

I consider myself a mildly lapsed motorhead because as life has gone on and on, the time and energy I have left for playing with motors dwindles.
I get older and the vehicles get more electronically complex.

But I qualify as a motorhead- through most of my 20s I HAD to be a decent mechanic or else I often couldn't get to work. Or home afterwards.
I repaired just about everything/anything on cars at one time or another, and sometimes even fixed the real problem first try. lol
I rebuilt a few motorcycles (old Honda CB750s) including custom wiring harnesses, exhaust and frame bits and pieces.
Every vehicle I have ever owned has gone through some degree of customization, most of the "low-budget/high elbow grease" variety.

That's me, in brief.

Nice little place you have going here. :)

Midnight Tech

Administrator
Glad to have you here Roger!
Remember...internal combustion engines haven't changed in the way they run...just all the other stuff on the car has.

rogerdugans

Yes, well....
About some of that other stuff..... lol.

Back when I was learning how to get to work and all-
points were still in fairly common use in most of the cars I could afford, and vacuum advance for the distributor curve was still the norm. :D

Automotive technology and methods have worked wonders- for about 10 years or so we have been in one the great periods of automotive performance but many of the changes that make this possible also DO make it harder for shade-tree mechanics.

Teh intarweb helps a lot, with places such as this making the experience and knowledge of others more readily available than ever before...

But many things are still more difficult to work on/diagnose at home.
Unless you are rich and can afford electronic analyzing equipment. ;)