Scion's Answer To The Failing Smart Car

FiveSpeed

Scion, makers of the tc, the xA (now called the xD) and the xB, will soon release a tiny microcar very similar to the Smart car, but a hundred times better. The iQ, as it will be called, will even have a back seat, though it's use will likely be for packages or small children. Industry experts say it's leaps and bounds better than the Smart car, which isn't holding up well.

Time will tell.

Guy

I'm just curious what you mean when you say "it isn't holding up very well". Does that mean they have lots of breakdowns, can't hold up to wear and tear of regular driving, not meeting expectations?

FiveSpeed

Guy, according to (IMO) the greatest automobile rating magazine ever, Consumer Reports, they say that the Smart is "one of the worst cars they've ever driven." The car gets good gas mileage but requires premium gas, the "automated manual" transmission bogs and lurches and isn't able to be shifted smoothly, and the reliability record is "worse than average." Resale value drops like a rock, too. Need I say more?

FenderBender

While I am glad someone is coming out with better cars I am not a huge fan of the Scion brand. I hope the auto manufacturers can all figure out how to make electric and hybrid cars more feasible for more people.

Lamboguy

I'm not suprised by the results of the Smart Car. We had a dealership open up near where I work and I think they spent more time building the thing than they were actually open, because it shut down so fast. I'd never buy one of those. It's just not practical. You can't shop or go on trips with that thing.

Guy

The technology is brand new so it's really no surprise that the performance is not the same as the old technology. I'm betting the new technology will improve with time.

FiveSpeed

While I am glad someone is coming out with better cars I am not a huge fan of the Scion brand. I hope the auto manufacturers can all figure out how to make electric and hybrid cars more feasible for more people.
Well, and I hate to keep quoting Consumer Reports but, Scions are the top rated small car currently, beating out Ford, Toyota and even Honda. I drive one at work (an '05 xA) and I absolutely love it. The only negatives I have are that the seats get a little uncomfy on longer trips and mine doesn't have cruise control. Otherwise, I've got no gripes.