Self-Driving Cars? Arrived.

daddysmonkey

"an Audi TTS will race up the famous Pikes Peak Hill Climb later this month without a human driver behind the wheel."

:shocked:

:high5:

Now THAT, my friends, is impressive! I'd love to see a video of this, when it happens. I'm not sure if I'm for everyone having autonomous cars, and I don't even know if I'd want one, but that statement above is worth excitement.

moxilli

Remote?

Is it going to be ran by a remote control or is it going to have some kind of system where it can navigate the road itself?

fiat500

this and that

These cars are gonna be built in with either a sensor, a radar, or a laser or a combination of any to detect what's going on around it like the speed of other cars, the location and distances to avoid collision and all those sophisticated technologies.
Nissan Intelligent Cruise suggests it can analyse the road ahead and therefore adjust the speed when there's a curve ahead.
These and so much more smart technologies will be invented to make self-driving cars a reality in the near future.

sharky

This reminds me of the woman who thought cruise control drove her van. She set cruise control then went to the back of the van to punish the kids. Of course they crashed but luckily there were no serious injuries.

Danny_123

Wow, that woman is so lucky that no one got killed. So now that there are self driving cars how long will it be until some of those systems are actually used in the cars that we drive on the road?

cruisin

Oh my- I can't wait to see these in real life. It's like the Jetson days! I had always hoped that sometime in my lifetime we would have vehicles like this. Just program in where you want to go and sit back and relax!

Ticking

I used to drive from Arizona to Indiana a lot, and I always wished I had a car that could do something like that. I could make that trip in like 18 hours now if I had a car like that.

JeepersCreepers

This is awesome! I think that it would be so cool to have a car that drove itself. I mean it can't drive any worse than some drivers they let on the road right?

coup

You know I have always wondered how the logistics of flying cars would work. I mean how do you keep people from flying around crashing in to each other. I would venture to say this technology could be used to help solve the issue. Maybe this is a step to the flaying cars we all deserve. :)

daddysmonkey

I like to think that if everyone had self-driving cars that the roads would be significantly safer. The cars could be set to communicate with each other, sensing one another's needs to get where they're going and make lane changes, turning, etc. a lot more smooth and not prone to human error. Then again...it is one step closer to "Big Brother."

rolling

Does that mean people wouldn't have to learn to drive anymore? Although it sounds really exciting but I think I won't be comfortable sitting in an automated car. I still would want to be in control.

DogGuy

I don't think I would want a machine to drive for me. I would rather know I was in control. Cruise control is one thing but you still have the ability to steer and to kick the control off if necessary.

eDrive

I don't think I would like something like that either DogGuy. I would rather have control of my vehicle. Even though it may be possible for it to happen I wouldn't trust it.