Small cars vs Buses in Busy Streets

Kohn

I saw an economy size car (my friend calls it a toy car) get slammed at by a bus in a busy street. The rear part really got smashed. It was dusk. Of course, the bus driver was not careful. But to me, part of the reason is its color -- dark blue. I was thinking, had it been white or anything bright, the outcome would have been different. What do you think?

CherryRed

I don't like the idea of these "tiny" cars at all. To me they are unsafe and would crumble if they get in an accident of the expressway. Plus, most of these cars are only two passenger vehicles, which make them useless for a family of three or more.

MaximumSpeed

I think they could be useful in some situations, but I would tend to agree with you on the color. With something that small, a bright, reflective color would surely improve visibility, and by extension, safety.

TransAm

Road rules are there for a reason and I think the bus driver should have been more careful. You should be able to drive any sized car, painted in any color, on a road and feel safe, as long as you have your lights on when it is required. I mean cyclists and motorcyclists are allowed on the road, so why can't small cars?

MyMotor

Small cars are the norm in countries that don't have the subsidized fuel that we have. It's the only reason we can afford huge vehicles.

Small cars also have to be designed to keep the passengers safe, with crumple zones and so on. I think you worry too much.

LDriver

Oh I like small cars. They are space savers and can squeeze in smaller spaces of course. However, I think they should be made more sturdy so they won't get crumpled easily.

Kohn

Thanks for your replies guys :) I do think that small cars are very useful, not just for the fuel economy but also for its ability to squeeze itself into small spaces. Yeah, some bus drivers can be careless; but then additional measures to mitigate accidents can still save lives and limbs. If it's not the color that authorities can legislate about, then why not require small cars to have some reflectors on their roof? I mean, that should not be difficult to implement, right?