Snow storm!

FenderBender

Wow, yesterday was a mess. What was supposed to be a light dusting turned into 6 inches with Arctic gusts of up to 30 MPH! The local airport closed down and canceled all inbound and outbound planes. There was also a large accident involving 100 vehicles on the expressway that closed it down for several hours.

Skippy

That sounds terrible, I hope you were able to stay home and be safe. I hate storms like that when they take you by surprise.

Rodney

That's unusual for six inches to cause so much havoc. A 100 car pile up sounds like a real mess and a very bad thing for everyone involved. I hope everyone managed to walk away from it.

vroombaby

That sounds great if you are at home with a cozy fire going but not if you are stuck on the road somewhere. We were calling for snow last night but it just ended up being chilly with some winds.

RoadWarrior

It got quite cold in the deep south, but thankfully, no snow. We did get rain and, after the temps dropped down below freezing, some sleet. Luckily, nothing stuck, as the ground temperature was still too warm.

This time of year worries me, because if any snow falls in the south, it's usually in February or March. Our biggest snowfall on record, two feet, happened in March of 1993. We're due for another big one :snowman: .

bjstorm

With the winds we had this past weekend, I can see where 6 inches would cause major problems. We had about 3 inches, and heavy winds caused drifting on the roads here in the county. We even had a 2 foot drift beside our garage and all from 3 inches, so you can see it doesn't take much.

vroombaby

My cousin called me today from Afghanistan and he said its snowing where ever he is stationed right now. My family up north is having the same issue. What gives? Last night we had winds so bad I thought the mailbox was going to snap in half.