Snow tires

Dodge Doll

Where I am, if you want studded snow tires, you're paying someone to put the studs into your winter tires for you. There's laws in place that dictate to what time of the year they're allowed on the roads (admittedly studs can really do a number on warm ashphalt).

Do you prefer studded snow tires, or do you reach for chains when the going gets tough due to snow?

DNADriver

I don't do either. We just don't get severe enough weather here to do anything like that. We just use a set of good all weather tires, and make sure that they are in good condition, with plenty of tread.

I would not pay someone to put in tire studs. If you look over the long haul in this issue, one might be wiser to have a spare set of tires with studs and just change to them when studs are absolutely necessary. The cost to have somone take the non-stud tires off and put on the studded set might be less costly in the long run than paying someone to put studs in tires.

hotrodSteve

Around here, the roads are cleared quickly when it snows, so there's really no reason to get studs in the tires. There are some who live back lanes that aren't cleared by the county, who might get studs put in to avoid having to out chains on to get in and out.

Dodge Doll

I've friends and family that own 2 sets of tires for each vehicle, one a set of studded snowies, the other A/S radials. It's routine for them to have the tires swapped come mid-October and then again at the end of March.