So hot out -ways to keep engine cool

Hotrod25

Is there anything you can do to help cool your engine when it's close to 100 out? I mean I hear my fan running often and I don't want it to burn out. Anything else I can do besides not drive?

cartalk

Make sure your fluids are topped off at all times. Get your car looked at for a general tuneup if it's been awhile, don't go off roadin' and minimize the amount you blast the AC.

Tony

One of the things that most people don't consider is keeping the engine clean. If the engine is caked on with grease and gunk, it retains heat. Keep it clean and top it off with coolant.

Big Al

The fan is doing what it is designed to do and that is to keep your engine cool. Wouldn't you rather the fan burn out instead of the engine seizing up? Fans are easier and cheaper to replace.

Hotrod25

Of course I would rather my fan burn out - that wasn't the question. I just wanted to know ways to not make it run all the time. I didn't think it was good that it was running all the time. Thanks for the other tips folks. I'm going to go have a look to see how clean my engine is.

Calvin

Keeping car cool

I don't know if it helps or not, but I make sure to keep the car parked underneath a carport, a few shade trees or whatever cool place I can park it when I'm out driving around. Every little bit of heat adds up.

Midnight Tech

Administrator
Make sure you have the correct mix of antifreeze/coolant in the cooling system - an incorrect ratio can make your car overheat quickly.