Squealing Belt

FiveSpeed

For weeks now, every time I'd start my work car (2005 Scion xA), the belt or belts would squeal like something awful. Come to find out, the alternator was trying to lock up. We had the alternator and a belt replaced, and the belt squealed no more........until just recently. Now it's starting to squeal again! Do you think that new alternator is bad? Or could it be a belt that wasn't properly tightened? I don't want to be stranded out on the road somewhere.

Lamboguy

I don't really know much about it. With an older car I had, the belt was squealing on the start up too, but then it got worse because I never had it fixed. Eventually, I ended up paying 400 dollars to have a new alternator put in. That was the only lesson I needed on getting a belt taken care of so that's the extent of my knowledge on them.

Hotrod25

It could be the belt was not tightened properly. I would call the shop where they did the repair and take it back to them. They should fix it for free if it's something they messed up.

AWOL

FiveSpeed, definitely go back to the shop as soon as you can. If it has something to do with a mistake or faulty part, you may have a limited window to getting it fixed under warranty. If you wait, you could void the warranty for not getting it looked at in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck...I hope it's nothing but a quick fix!

FiveSpeed

Thanks guys. I actually took the day off today, so the Scion is safely parked at work. But I will take it in to the shop that did the work tomorrow. I was kind of leaning towards a loose belt too. I know, sometimes, they stretch out a little and you have to retighten them. Again, thanks.

SpeedyG

Yeah, take it back to the shop asap. Hopefully, they will check it out and fix the problem for free. It is strange for the same thing to be happening so soon, so they should take care of it.

Alexus

Getting it checked out by a professional is probably best at this point. You can keep speculating on what it "might" be, but you will probably end up paying a lot of money until you figure it out. Maybe the mechanic will tell you that it is something simple, and you still might be able to fix it yourself.

DMan

The belts in my son's car were squealing like crazy. When he went to replace them himself, he noticed that they were getting jammed in the pulleys. It cost him around $200. for the labor to replace the pulleys.

FenderBender

I would take it back to the shop where you had it fixed. It sounds like didn't tighten the belt properly. Having a belt go out on you when you are driving isn't fun.