Stp

spaz

Okay, I need someone who really knows what they're talking about to help me out here. I have two different mechanics that I use, depending on who has the time to take my vehicle. One told me to use STP fuel injection cleaner once a month and the other told me that it's bad to use STP all the time like that and it should only be used once or twice per year. Which guy is right?

FenderBender

I only use it when I have gotten bad gas. I don't think that it is something that you are supposed to use it all the time only when your fuel lines are dirty. You can usually tell when you need it as your car will chug along.

Big Al

You should check out the thread on Sea Foam. It does a really nice job of cleaning the fuel injector jets. Just add it to your gasoline and let it start working.

CharlieBrown

Like FB, I use a fuel cleaner only once or twice per year. Repeated use of a fuel cleaner can dissolve the seals in the fuel system and around the injectors, so that's why I don't use them on a regular basis. If you're having rough idling, and one can of fuel cleaner doesn't help, ten cans isn't going to help either. Change the fuel filter and possible, tune the car up.

BTW, instead of fuel cleaner, I just pour straight isopropyl alcohol in the fuel tank, about four to six ounces. It's cheaper than fuel cleaner and, in my opinion, works better.