"Taliban Toyota" wins lawsuit

RacecaR

I suppose the dude took offense because he was from somewhere in the Middle East for real. That he took 'em to court kinda makes me wonder if there might've been some truth to the appellation.

UGoGirl

Apparently usage of that name on the car met the letter of the law for slander, so the judge probably really had no choice but to rule accordingly. Sometimes that happens.

NeedNewWheels

I am totally fine with him winning. That is slander and it's racism, and that other car lot is profiting from it. Why would taking the other guy to court for this provide any evidence that he is part of a terrorist group? If somebody started telling the world I was a part of a hate group I would be outraged.

Ares

Nice story. I have no issue with him winning the case. It is not a good business practice to tell lie about your competitor, that he is part of a terrorist group or something.

RacecaR

I suppose that the other guy shouldn't have done that, but someone calling me part of some terrorist or hate group would just get laughed at because everyone who knows me at all knows that there's no way that's possible.

NeedNewWheels

I suppose that the other guy shouldn't have done that, but someone calling me part of some terrorist or hate group would just get laughed at because everyone who knows me at all knows that there's no way that's possible.
That might be the case with people who know you, but this is a business and there are clearly racial issues involved. This is a business on which this person bases his livelihood on and he is dealing with people who do not know him personally. Look at how many people have the stereotype of what a Taliban member looks like.

Ares

That might be the case with people who know you, but this is a business and there are clearly racial issues involved. This is a business on which this person bases his livelihood on and he is dealing with people who do not know him personally. Look at how many people have the stereotype of what a Taliban member looks like.
You have a very good point. He is dealing with people who don't know him, who would likely believe in what his competitor said about him, considering that he comes from the Middle East.

AWOL

The funny thing is he's probably not from the Middle East at all...he's probably Indian. We have friends who are Indian and own the local gas station. They are constantly dealing with racism against them...but it's people calling them Al Quieda and stuff. They aren't even from there.