Talk to me about gas mileage

Craig

Last night I had the idea to get a bike. I went out, looked at a few and want one more than ever. I live in the south so will get a lot of use out of it, I've ridden many over the years so I know what I'm doing.

I'm specifically looking at a 2011 Yamaha YZF-R1. It's bad! Will I be saving money on gas, or spending more? I drive a Tahoe everyday now.

Always2gether

Well, are you still paying on the Tahoe? If not, you would be spending a lot less on gas. Motorcycles are great when it comes to gas. How much is your insurance on each too? Those are some things to consider.

Sadie

I'm pretty sure whatever bike you get, it's going to save you a ton of money on gas mileage. I think that's why so many people are bringing out their bikes lately and leaving the cars at home.

gc856723

Yeah, everything I've heard is you'd be saving gas. Really, though, I always put faith into a few Google searches for gas mileage so I can compare for myself. It may not always be accurate, but it's better to be informed than not.

Adam12

But remember, if you're still paying on the Tahoe, and now you'll be paying on the bike, will the gas savings be enough to justify having two payments? Just something to think about.

Bike gives us more mileage and the gas cost is low in bikes then cars, that's why i prefer to go out on my bike instead of car.

Last edited:

MiniVanMommy

Oh so what did you decide? Are you going to get one? You'll be spending less during the week on gas that is for sure, but will it make up for the bike monthly payment.

DNADriver

I'd hate to take on a bike just for the gas savings. Could you not consider getting a compact car instead, only some have amazing gas mileage. How does insurance compare for a bike and a car?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about Yamaha, but I know Harley's require premium gas. I think my dad says he gets 40-50 mpg. When he first started riding he would get change from a $10 to fill up. Now it is over $20 to fill up.

Motorcycles also require more maintenance, which is something to consider.

Guy

I recently sold my second vehicle which was s SUV that got 16 to 18 miles to the gallon and bought a used motorcycle. I was able to buy the bike with what was left over after the SUV loan was paid off.

HANG

Bikes are always going to have a lot higher MPG than anything else out there. But as mentioned, you will see a lot more maintenance requirements.

MotorX

Of course you will get better gas mileage! I have not yet seen a car that gets gas mileage as good as a bike gets. I don't know if your payment will offset the savings, though, or not.