Thanksgiving Travel

Chevy_Lover

It is getting to be that time of the year in which most people travel to visit family. We are going out of state for the first time and decided to do it by car. I was wondering what do you recommend for traveling with 7 year olds on a 17 hour trip.

I am getting an oil change before going. What else should I look for?

Lizzie

I love my family, but I won't consider traveling far with the kids for just a couple of days. It might sound like I am not family oriented, but just thinking of being in the car for more than 2 hours makes my heart beat faster. I rather see them through Skype.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
All immediate family is in state for me and the wife. We just have to figure out who we are going to. I would much rather travel.

philio

I am not going to be traveling this year either. As far as a 7 hour trip with 7 year olds, I recommend you get them a portable DVD player with headphones. That way you can keep them entertained. Also make sure you have a spare tire, jack, good tires, and good breaks.

Guy

I don't know how you feel about night driving. but as a trucker, I do it all the time and I prefer it. If you do part of your trip at night, the 7 year olds will sleep for a large portion of the trip and it will seem shorter to them.

General

Luckily, I am over the "are we there yet?" syndrome. I agree that the DVD is a good idea, also Gameboys or whatever they like to play. I agree with Guy that the night driving can be very helpful, but if you are driving in any of the northern States, then the weather may be bad, and night driving in the rain or snow is much more stressful.

I don't know how you feel about night driving. but as a trucker, I do it all the time and I prefer it. If you do part of your trip at night, the 7 year olds will sleep for a large portion of the trip and it will seem shorter to them.
Excellent advice that will make the trip easier.

Monty Carlos

Depending on how much time you have, you may want to leave a little early and make the entire drive a part of your vacation. There are usually historical sites or parks at some of the exits along the major highways. You would be surprised at some of the attractions that you find along the way! I am sure the kids would enjoy that, and so will you!