Time for the Clunker to Go

Jaycee

My sister called me up the other day, and was telling me how horrible her car is acting. The window will not roll up, the battery keeps dying even though it is new, and loads of other things. She has not even had the car for long, and already it is a clunker. I guess I better keep an eye out for a good car for my sister. Have you ever bought a car and everything was good, then suddenly one day everything goes downhill?

Corinne

That's when I usually just tell my husband we're buying a new car, and we start looking. When one dumps me beside the highway and I have to call Triple A, it's time. Yes, we do know how you feel. I'm almost there myself.

Hotrod25

That is what happens! Once one thing goes many things start to crap out. I've had several vehicles just like this. You have to know when to cut your ties with your vehicle and move on.

03altima

Pretty much every older model car we ever bought ended up like this. The last one we bought was an '87 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. It had sat in this old lady's garage for God knows how long, but even though it had less than 50,000 miles on it when we bought it, it was pretty much a piece of crap, lol. Everything in it that could dry rot had, including the tires, so we had to drop major money in it right off the bat. It was cursed from the day we bought it and by the end, the gas gauge was completely backwards and would start out on "E" when you first cranked it, only to end near "F" by the end of a 15 or 20 minute trip.

vroombaby

What type of car does she have, where did she get it from and how old is it? I hardly heard about newer cars being in this bad of shape, maybe 8 years ago or so but nothing newer.

Jaycee

It is an older car, but I forget the name. I know it is a foreign car and whatever it is, the mechanics at Walmart had a hard time looking up the name. It was in the car database, but was slightly different. It is so weird, because my uncle knows cars and he checked it out. He said it was good, but I guess the problems were well hidden.

striker

Yep, this all sounds very familiar! I bought a lemon of a jeep once. At first, everything was just fine. Next thing we know, we're calling a tow truck and get can't the sucker started.

bjstorm

It's hard to swallow if she's only had the car a short time. But it's probably best to cut her losses and find a different vehicle before she sinks a ton of money into what sounds like a lemon.