Trade in

Testdriving

Did you ever trade in your car? How to get a good deal on your trade-in car? How to prepare the car so that they value it as high as it should be.

daddysmonkey

I've never traded in simply because I know I can get more money if I sell the car on my own. Of course, if I didn't feel like going through all that trouble and had the money for a new car anyway, it'd be nice to use the little bump to see what extra goodies I can add to the new car.

hotrod

Make sure the vehicle is extremely clean, inside and out. If you can afford to, take it to a professional detailer. Cover all scratches with touch up paint and make sure there are no dents and dings that can be used against you.

Ticking

I traded in a Mustang a few years ago and thought I got a pretty good deal out of it. Come to think of it, that's the only time I ever did a trade.

moxilli

I think if you trade in a car you need to plan that far in advance. That way you can make rules like no smoking in the car or no eating in the car. You want to keep it as nice as possible to get the best offer.

sandis

I have traded in a few myself along with my partner but when we have done this we always find good deals otherwise its not worth it if you plan on taking a hit. I don't want a hit on my credit or in my monthly set of bills.

sharky

Is there a certain time of year when they run the kind of specials that make trade ins worth it? If so, when is the best time of year to trade in your car?

Trucker12

Usually I just sell my car outright on my own. I've never really gotten any good deal on a trade-in so I don't do it. I don't know how people make their car better to trade it in.

I have always done fine with trading in old ones. Besides all the other suggestions about being super clean inside and out and touched up, here is a trick that helps to get a better deal.

I go to a dealer and tell him right up front that I am not buying a car today, but want to know his best deal. Then, I mention a dealer that is nearby where I am going next to see what they will do for me. I do fib a bit and tell them this is the first dealer I have been to, so give it his best shot before I go to the other dealer.

He will sharpen his pencil if he thinks he is in a competition for your business. When he comes back, simply tell him you think he can do better than that, so you will talk to him after you see the other dealer up the road. Normally, they will lower the price even before you leave.

Then, go to the other dealer and tell him the same story, that he is the first dealer you have visited, etc...as above. Then, decide who you want to go back to and dicker with to get your best price. I can guarantee (my so was a car salesman for a while) you they will give you a better deal if in direct competition. The last time I traded, I used the Honda against the up-the-street Toyota to get the best price.

If the price is close, then after leaving for a while (so they think you are checking with someone else), then return and say you wanted to tell them you think you will trade with the other dealer, because you could get more money for your trade in at that dealer...They will again bargain with you for several hundred dollars in most cases.

Works for me, give it a try.

Brent

Make sure the vehicle is extremely clean, inside and out. If you can afford to, take it to a professional detailer. Cover all scratches with touch up paint and make sure there are no dents and dings that can be used against you.
Good advice, thanks. I like the idea of hiring a professional detailer to get your car ready to trade in. Do you think the potential increase of the price because of the detailing process will cover the detailing cost?