Used car buying tip

Luanne

A friend gave me a good tip on buying a used car on Craig's list to make sure I wasn't getting one pulled over on me. He said to ask for the seller's driver's license to make sure I had the real person's name. Then he told me to Google the person's name plus the words "used car" to make sure I wasn't buying from someone who made a practice of making bad deals. I thought this was a good idea.

cartalk

It seems kind of intrusive to ask to see a stranger's driver's license. A better bet is to purchase from a certified used car lot, that way you can look up more accurate and guaranteed reviews of the place's past business dealings.

FenderBender

I wouldn't buy a car from someone I didn't trust to back up the purchase. I have never purchased from an individual but I think if I felt like they were trying to scam me enough to ask for a drivers license I would pass on the car.

JohnBoy

The Craig's List thing bothers me, so I understand the driver's license issue. People have to be careful these days. I think I'd just look for a used car somewhere else. Craig's List bothers me, so I don't go there for much of anything, except to see what yard sales are going on.

I think that's a good idea, although I have to admit if I were selling a car, I wouldn't fork over my driver's license to an interested buyer. I might let them glance at it, to see that I'm not lying about my name, but I wouldn't actually HAND OVER my license. Also, they would have to agree to meet me in person about the car, there's no way I'd email or fax them a copy of my license!

Pete

In this day and age of identity theft I'm not sure too many people would go for that but it can't hurt to ask. All they can say is no.

vroombaby

I buy many things online, some stuff for work, stuff for the home and even gifts for people I know. I doubt I would ever buy a car online though as it seems its too hard to tell who is legit and who is not.

Buying a used car is not an big issue now, as we can look towards used car companies where from affordable price and superior performance is gettable, we can buy from such kind of sites that provides original sell papers of the car.