Valuable life lesson

FenderBender

We bought a boat yesterday and in the process of getting it in the driveway I learned a very valuable lesson. Do not, under any circumstances, let a person who has never towed anything in their entire life back the boat into the driveway. I ended up with yet another dent in my bumper when the DH put the trailer perpendicular to the truck and hit it.

Opal

Laughing Out Loud here. I remember the first time I ever tried to back my riding lawn mower up the driveway with a trailer attached. The short wheel base made it very difficult to keep straight. I finally just sat in the middle of the driveway and laughed out loud at myself and hoped no one was watching.:pound:

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I practiced for a few hours the first time I backed up a trailer. Not easy, but once you get the hang of it, it is not bad. I park close to the back of my shed, and if I do not use it for a few months, it can be hard to get it back how I like it.

RoseRed

This sounds like something I would do. :heh: I am not comfortable with parking in reverse in any case, much less trying to do it with a trailer.

I guess you can give your husband a hard time for awhile now.:smile:

Spokane

Yeah, those things can be very tricky. And expensive. It's always best to have an experienced driver and spotter doing something like this so they can both watch for people and other property.

FenderBender

I was spotting but I was told that saying "straighten it out because you are going to hit the bumper" was not direct enough. He has done much better since then and I am glad there haven't been any other problems.

Donnie

We were down in South Carolina visiting my cousin. He took some of the guys out fishing to show off his new boat. He backed the boat down into the Intracoastal Waterway, and it went in. So did his nice, big shiny black SUV. I mean all the way in. They had to get a wrecker to pull it out. He's the only one who "caught anything" that day. He's still catching it from us.

vroombaby

That is a pretty tight spot and I have known of others doing the same thing. I thnk the one that still tops it is my friend who got engaged and within a week his fiance took his SUV and backed it into his brand new sports car.