washing cars with kitchen soap

KC23

I know I have heard how horrible it is to use kitchen soap while washing your car. It seems that's all my parents used my entire childhood.

Can someone break it down for me, why is this such a no-no?

MaximumSpeed

I'm interested to hear the answer here, too, since I've always heard that Dawn dish soap (in particular) is good for car-washing. I could see where Lava soap (the kind my mom uses for washing her hands in the kitchen) would be a problem, but dishwashing soap shouldn't be.

Marvin

I am only guessing that soaps formulated for cleaning vehicles will leave a bit of a protective finish but that dish soap does not.

KC23

The explanation I was given was that the grease fighter in dish soap is bad for the finish on your paint. I was told it will dull the paint over time. Maybe they didn't know what they were talking about :heh:

oscar

I've never heard that, but I can see where the logic might come from. I just use the actual detailing wash because I like to shine it leaves.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Dish Soap is made for removing things like hard grease and other things off the pots and pans. It will remove the coating of wax or sealant you may have on your vehicle. Some say it will hurt the clear coat to. Either way, removing the wax is going to hurt the paint. The only time I've seen recommended is when people want to repaint their vehicles.

MaximumSpeed

Interesting! I never realized that would be an issue. It's good to know that I should avoid it in the future. What inexpensive soaps are good for using instead?

Eugene

Are there any good all purpose detergents that would be safe for the finish or is it pretty much the same story as the dish soap?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Go to the auto parts store and pick up a cheap brand. I'm honestly having a brain fart and cannot remember what brand I use. But an auto parts store will have something better then dish soap.

I've heard of people using Borax, but I will not try it.

I'm trying to remember the harmful stuff in soap, I think it is alkali and phosphate. So if you have to use different soap check to see if that is in the soap.

RoadWarrior

Yes, Dawn will most definitely strip the wax off the paint. What I've always used is a good, mild liquid handwashing soap (the clear kind, not the orange "antibacterial" kind). I figure if it's good enough for your hands, it should be good enough for the paint. And I've had no trouble with it stripping the wax or messing up the clearcoat.

07Silverado

I haven't ever used dish soap. There are always some good deals on car soap at the local auto parts store. Last week I got a gallon jug of turtle wax for $4.98