When do you give up?

chillen

If you have a fixer upper but never have time for it, more than likely do not have the funds for it and defiantly do not have the time for it when do you actually give up on the idea of it? My uncle has a late 80's mustang that he said he would fix up years ago. We spent the holiday with him this year and the thing is still sitting in the shop.

coup

If I did not do anything in a year I would give it up. Of course if it becomes a classic then it might be smart to sit on it until it is, then it could be sold for more.

HANG

I would just leave it until one day when he gets around to it. Don't rush the guy. I'm sure it means something to him and he is going to eventually get to work on it.

Donald

If it's just one car that's not being worked on, then I agree with HANG. If someone is wasting too much space and money with multiple cars that they want to fix up, then that's a problem. I don't think one neglected project is that unusual though. Your uncle may never fix up that Mustang, but is he really hurting anyone by keeping it?

silverfox

I also agree with HANG and coup. It sounds as if your uncle wants to hang on to it in hopes he has the resources someday. Maybe the older it gets, the more valuable it will become. I think I would hold on to something like that, even if I did not have the resources to work on it.

Hotrod25

I wouldn't give up! If I'm not driving it and I don't need to drive it, then it won't hurt to keep and put the money into it when I can. It's like a dream car - when it's done it's done.

UGoGirl

If he was REALLY into it, he would spend time on it. It seems like something that seemed like a good idea at the time, but time is not bearing it out.