Who drives a stick?

Tony

How many people here know how to drive a car with a stick shift? I've read recently that there are fewer and fewer cars out there with a manual transmission.

Pete

I've been driving a stick since I learned to drive in high school. I like that I can control when the car goes into gear.

FenderBender

I fully understand the concept of driving a stick but when I drive I just want to get in and drive. I don't want to have to worry about shifting.

Big Al

Kind of funny to admit this but my wife taught me how to drive a stick. My friends in high school tried but I could never get it right. I must have needed a woman's touch. :)

CharlieBrown

I've been driving a stick on my old '94 Honda for the past ten years or so. I'd rather drive a stick, because I'd rather the gears change when I want them to change rather than when a computer tells them to change. But I'm getting old and my knees are starting to hurt, and I can tell a difference after a day out around the town. Guess it might be time to start thinking about (gasp!) an automatic.

Pete

@CharlieBrown - I know what you mean about the knees. My left knee has been bothering me off and on for about a year. It's made it tough to shift while driving around town. Hate getting older! :)

An old boyfriend of mine tried to teach me to drive stick once; it didn't work out so well! I imagine they are more "fun" to drive, but I prefer the safety to having one less thing to worry about while driving with an automatic.

CharlieBrown

Greased, someone can't "teach" you how to drive a stick. It's one of those things where you just have to take the car out by yourself and teach yourself to drive it. When I was young, both my mom and dad tried to teach me how to drive it, and I thought I'd never learn how. But dad gave me the keys to his 1980 Plymount Champ one day and told me to learn how to drive it, and I did......in just two days AND without ripping out the clutch!

Midnight Tech

Administrator
First car was a 79 Monza...cable clutch that was so stiff it almost took both legs to push it. I learned to drive it - at Myrtle Beach - during the summer.

Luanne

I enjoy driving a stick shift, but not enough to buy one. I'm far too lazy for that. Since I learned on a straight shift, it's not hard for me to get the hang of it, but I don't want to do it for long.