Who uses the "plus" level gas?

Donald

Most people I know use regular unleaded gas for their cars. I've heard that premium gas is recommended for some cars, so I can see why that's available. I've never understood the purpose of the "plus" level of gas, which is the one in between the other two. Does anyone use this gas?

MaximumSpeed

I had a car once that would buck and sputter on the lowest grade, but I hated to pay premium prices, so I used the midgrade and it worked ok. I guess that's what it's for!

Vroooom_1972

I am lucky my car runs good enough with regular gas. Regular is breaking the bank, and I don't even want to think about how much damage would plus or super would do to our bank account.

Donald

MaximumSpeed, that makes sense, I guess that must be one reason they have the plus grade. The only people I know who use premium have pretty nice cars, and they always choose the premium gas. Then there are most others including myself who barely get by paying for regular these days, as Vroooom_1972 was talking about.

Fanbelt

I use regular gas for my car. I would love to use premium gas as my car would perform better and be more durable, but I just couldn't afford it.

Dodge Doll

I run a tank of 'the good stuff' periodically, my current ride is a little older and tends to knock a bit on regular gas.

The current prices are a bit of a deterrent, I admit, and I'm certainly misering my time on the road whenever I possibly can.

Jon

Thankfully, my old Honda runs well on regular. I had a Toyota Sienna once that "recommended" premium, so I'd run one tank of regular and the next tank, premium. Of course, this was when gas was much cheaper.

Fanbelt, it's an old wives tale that premium makes a car run better. It's just that premium, on some cars, prevents "dieseling," a condition marked by stutter and shake upon shutoff. If you're car isn't dieseling, and the manufacturer doesn't suggest or require premium, regular is what you should be running.

If you're having irregular idle problems, I suggest a cupful of rubbing alcohol just after a fillup. Or, you can try some fuel treatment.

vroombaby

I have a few times but it has never been for a vehicle that I owned, normally one I borrowed from someone with a little more bucks in their purse than my own. :)

I still like to give my car a little extra boost when I stock up, you know, making sure it goes when it needs too but no, that stuff is a little too rich for my blood.

Chevy_Lover

I have never had a problem with the regular gas. My dad always told me that it was only needed for old cars. At this point, it doesn't even matter. I would never be able to afford the premium stuff. The regular gas is almost four dollars, so you can imagine how much is the premium one.

Brent

Fanbelt, it's an old wives tale that premium makes a car run better. It's just that premium, on some cars, prevents "dieseling," a condition marked by stutter and shake upon shutoff. If you're car isn't dieseling, and the manufacturer doesn't suggest or require premium, regular is what you should be running.

If you're having irregular idle problems, I suggest a cupful of rubbing alcohol just after a fillup. Or, you can try some fuel treatment.
Glad to know that, thanks for sharing. I grew up believing that the higher octane number the gas has, the better it is for your car performance.

HANG

There's really no need to use plus in any case AT ALL. I have some classic cars, which require premium no matter what, and that's what I have to use. Newer cars today, even if they say they require premium, you can fill with regular unleaded.

jumpinjacks

I used to use it but I don't now. It only works if you do it every single time. But with the cost of gas being so high that is out of the question.

Last edited:

NeedNewWheels

I can't say that I've ever put plus or premium gas in my car. I only use regular. I've never had any problems attributed to it. I have wondered in the past if my car would idle smoother if I used a different level.

HANG

I used to use it but I don't. Gas is way to expensive. It only works if you do it every single time. But with the cost of gas being so high that is out of the question.
That's really not true. It doesn't do anything to increase performance even if you do it every time.

Would it idle smoother? Probably not. Even if it did, that's really negligible for the price.

HANG

Welcome to the site, smartauto. What do you think of the different gas levels? I basically think as long as your engine isn't knocking, it doesn't matter what level you use.

Plus level gas is recommended because they are quite helpful in producing a good mileage for your car, and they also keep engine clean.

Last edited:

Lamboguy

When I got my first car I was only using the premium gas because it is better quality. But as time went on I stopped using it. I don't use it anymore, simply because I need to save money and I can't really spend it if I don't need to that kind of octane.

Hotrod25

Who can afford it? I can't afford the premium gasoline - heck some days I can't afford Regular gas. I don't think that you have to use the premium gas. I have never used it and so far so good.