Why?

Dodge Doll

I am totally confused by a certain behavior, and would really like it if someone could explain it to me: I've a spouse that is mechanically capable (as in, he is a type of mechanic as it is), but will NOT fix the "little things" that go wrong with either vehicle in the family.

Unless it's major, it's not getting fixed, even though he can do it... he says he hates working on cars, granted, but he also knows I can't do it myself.

What gives with that?

jumpinjacks

He doesn't want to do it because he doesn't enjoy it. Sure he can do it, however he has other things he would rather be doing. It's not a priority to him. Have you tried explaining these things are a priority to you (in a nice way of course)?

NeedNewWheels

I agree with Jumpinjacks, he just doesn't enjoy it. It's like when my grandma asks my grandpa, who has worked on electronics and cars his whole life, to cook dinner for himself. He can't even operate a stove, oven, or microwave but he can put together a stereo!

jumpinjacks

I was thinking about your question and I had a thought. If you were to act like you were going to do it yourself I bet he would do it. Start getting the tools together and get out there with the hood up and he will probably step up.

Wini

I think some people get it in their minds that the little things just aren't important and focus on the big picture instead. Of course the outcome isn't good if you don't fix the little things too. They often lead to bigger issues.

sharky

Yep, and then the bigger issue costs a whole lot of money. Then people want to complain, but that is silly since it could have been fixed in the first place.