yearly checkup

vroombaby

Now I have heard of this for people but not for a car, what gives? The guy who did the oil change and tire rotate said most people are switching to yearly checkups for their cars, no matter if you drive it daily or ever now and then. :suspicious:

Pete

I find that to be a bit extreme and suspect that the person you heard it from is just trying to make a buck. Believe it or not, today's cars have fewer problems than they used to because of computerization. So that can't be the issue.

As for the oil, oil manufacturers say their oil is designed to last longer than the 3,000-5,000 recommend oil change. So call me cynical if you want but I think mechanics just want your money. As for the tire rotation, it is a good idea to rotate the tires to ensure the tires wear evenly.

CharlieBrown

I've never heard of a yearly "checkup" for a car. Matter of fact, I never heard of a monthly one either. I just always thought mileage was the most important factor in everything (oil changes, air filter changes, tire rotations, almost everything). I'll just keep on doing what I been doing.

vroombaby

Two words, or one combo word your pick: Tire Kingdom. I was quite upset with the man too, we keep our vehicles in pretty decent shape seeing as they need to keep up with us, 5 pets and 2 kids. This man was nuts, I doubt I will ever go back there.

Pete

I've never heard of a yearly "checkup" for a car. Matter of fact, I never heard of a monthly one either. I just always thought mileage was the most important factor in everything (oil changes, air filter changes, tire rotations, almost everything). I'll just keep on doing what I been doing.
Mileage is a factor but you have to consider the type of mileage. If you drive 15,000 miles a year and it's mostly freeway miles that's totally different than if it was primarily city miles. Driving in the city, with all of the starts and stops wears on a car much more than freeway driving.

FenderBender

I have never heard of a yearly checkup on a vehicle either. I do now that it is mostly mileage based so maybe he was just estimating that in the course of a year you would need certain services? I get my oil changed regularly and have my tires rotated and balanced every couple of months.